1A. Describe the political and economic reasons for the United States' interventions in Latin America.1B. Discuss the role of the United States in Latin America during the 20th century.
2. Evaluate the reasons why the Cuban Revolution did not spread to other areas of Latin America.
3A. Describe the political, economic, and social factors that placed this region between the developed and third worlds.3B. What problems were associated with Latin America's attempt to achieve economic development?
4. What changes occurred as a result of the Mexican Revolution?
5 . Trace the status of women in this region during the 20th century.
6. Appraise the social factors that slowed the advancement of women. :(
7. Identify the problems that faced Latin America as the 20th century ended.
8. Trace the factors that led to the spread of democracy throughout the region.
9. How did various Latin American countries react to the failures of Liberal government?
10. Trace the ebb and flow of pro-socialist governments in Latin America in the 20th century.
11. Evaluate the relationship between the U.S. and Latin American nations in the 20th century.
12A. Define populism. How have populist politics had a role in Latin America? 12B. How did populist governments in Brazil and Argentina attempt to rule?
13A. Compare and contrast the radical revolutions of the 1950s in Cuba and Guatemala. 13B. What three types of radical reform were attempted in Guatemala, Bolivia, and Cuba and what were the results? . 14. How "revolutionary" has change been in the Latin American economy and society since 1910?
15A. Discuss the role of the military in Latin American political development during the late 20th century. 15B. Why did the military believe that they offered a viable answer to Latin American problems?
16. Discuss the various political responses to political, economic, and social problems in Latin America and give your opinion on which response has been the most successful.
17. Compare and contrast the political and economic development of those economies that industrialized in the 20th century - the Soviet Union and the Pacific rim - with that of Latin America.